why not check out our
The museum Kálvalíð in Miðvági is one of the first local museums, which was established in Faroe Islands. The museum has an exhibition in the old house Kálvalíð, which is a very old Faroese house.
The land, that belonged to the house was in 1632 owned by the local clergyman, but later, in 1673, the house and land became an annex for clergyman’s widows.
Later in this century the house came in private property, and since 1968 the local parish has been the owner.
Many tales are about the widows from Kálvalíð, and most famous is the story about Beinta, (the author Jørgen Frants Jacobsen’s “Barbara”), who was a clergyman’s wife on Viðareiði and in Miðvági.
A lot of things in the house are from other houses in the village, and these together with the house shows, how a Faroese family was living up to our days.
Visits must be prearranged throught VisitVágar.
The War Museum in Miðvágur will tell you the largely unknown role the Faroe Islands played in the war. During the war as many as 8000 british soldiers were stationed on Vágar, at with them they brought a culture that was previously unknown to the islanders. This makes their influence a very important part of the history of the island, that you will learn about at the museum.
The museum is open Tuesday to Saturday 11-16.30.
Adults: DKK 50
Children (up to 14 years): free
Groups: 10+ DKK 30 each
To visit their website follow the link
Mikkjal Dánjalsson á Ryggi (1879-1956) was born in Miðvágur and lived in Gásadalur. He was a teacher and politician.
Nevertheless, Mikkjal á Ryggi is most of all well-known for his literary work. This includes poetry, psalms, local history and schoolbooks.
Most noteworthy is number of psalms written by Mikkjal á Ryggi. No Faroese writer wrote so many psalms as him. Furthermore, Mikkjal á Ryggi was the first one to write local history.
In Spring 2011 a new statue was unveiled in Mikkjal á Ryggi’s honor. The statue shows Mikkjal á Ryggi, in full size in bronze, sanding on top of an open book made of stone. Phrases from Mikkjal á Ryggi’s work, are written on the book.
The sculptor Hans Pauli Olsen built the statue and it is situated outside Mikkjal’s childhood home, í Beitinum, in Miðvágur.
Sørvágur Village Museum was established in 1963. In the first years, until 1980, Sørvágur Village Museum was at the attic of the local power station. The initiators of the village museum where.: Jóhan á Ørg, Arnhold Jacobsen, Dánjal Thomasen and Zacharias Petersen (Sakaris í Beiti).
The villages and islanders where supportive off the museum and donated a growing number of artifacts and historical items. Hence, Sørvágur village museum soon grew to become one of the biggest village museums in the country.
In June 2014 the Sørvágur Village Museum moved into their own up-to-date building, in the old bank house. Then the municipality and the national museum organization where finally able to provide the museum with a better location. Hence, the museum is now better guaranteed a safe future.
The village museum is equipped with historical artifacts and tools for: cliff-work, sheep-farming, fishery, pilot whale hunting, carpentry, forging, agriculture, farming, haymaking, peat digging, stonework, woolen clothing manufacture, knitting, sewing, sail making, housekeeping and much more. As well as the museum owns about 10.000 old photographs.
To visit their webpage follow the link below
In the spring of 1917, a local farmer named Martin á Mýruni made a great finding. He discovered an ancient runic stone in the area Eingjatoftir, between Sandar and Steig, in Sandavágur.
The Runic Stone was from about year 1200. Mikkjal á Ryggi, a famous local writer, translated the ancient writing on The Runic Stone into Faroese. The translation reads: "Torkil Onundarson eystmaður av Rogalandi bygdi henda stað fyrst" which can be translated into something like: “Torkil Onundarson from Rogalandi built this place first”
Today, the Runic Stone is now preserved and presented in the Church of Sandavágur
Løgmansgarðurin was the residence of the “Løgmaður”, the lawspeaker and leader of the Faroese parliament from 1555 until 1816. Hence, Løgmansgarðurin was, in this period, the base of man with the highest ranking in the Faroe Islands. The last løgmaður to live in Løgmansgarðurin was Jørgen Frants Hammershaimb. His son Vencil Ulricus Hammershaimb was born on Løgmansgarðurin in 1819.
Løgmansgarðurin was abolished in 1816 and the Faroe Islands became a Danish administrative district. After this, the land that belong to Løgmansgarðurin, was divided into eight parts. Both locals and foreigners bought the land and moved to Sandavágur. Needless to say, this had a vast positive effect on the conditions in Sandavágur, both socially and financially.
Today Løgmansgarðurin is without doubt a “worth to visit” when in Vágar.
Vencil Ulricus Hammershaimb, is well known and famous as the father of the Faroese written language. He was an educated Lutheran minister and is the son of the last Faroese leader of parlament, Jørgen Frantz Hammershaimb, before the Faroe Islands became a Danish administrative district in 1916.
V.U. Hammershaimb was, on top of being a minister, also a politician and a philologist. He established the Faroese written language, based on the Icelandic language, which like Faroese, derives from Old Norse
V.U. Hammershaimb is believed by many to be the direct reason for the survival of the Faroese language. in 1919, the 100th year of V. U. Hammersheimb, a memorial statue was built in his honor right next to Løgmansgarðurin, his birth place.
Jens Pauli Heinesen (1932-2011) was a Faroese writer from Sandavágur. He was one of the most important novelists of the Faroe Islands. This also shows in his recognition: Four times he received the Faroese Literature Prize and one time the Faroese Cultural Prize.
In March 2016 the municipality of Vágar donated a memorial statue of the famous local writer. The statue is located in the center of the village. Local sculptor Andrias Andreassen built the statue.