The church in Sandavágur was built during world war 1. The building started in 1914, and the church was ready to use 3rd sunday after Easter, 29th April, 1917. The church of Sandavágur is the oldest Faroese church that is both designed and built of Faroe islanders.
Architect Magnus Jacobsen both made the blueprints and supervised the building. The magnificent colourscheme was made by Petur Alberg.
10th august 1891, an altarpiece was given to the church in Sandavágur, and it is still the same one hanging in the church today. Lucie Ingemann (1792-1868) painted the alterpiece, which is estimated to be around 150 years old.
Seven smaller paintings are decorating the back wall of the church. These were painted by Kristin í Geil, and are based on older paintings that belonged to the church.
The church is the new home of a rune stone, that was found in the village.
The foundation stone of the current church of Miðvágur was laid on First Trinity Sunday in 1948. The church was finished and opened on 28th of September in 1952.
Heini Joensen, the mayor at the time, draw the church already in Mai 1930. Heini studied in Bergen in western Norway, and the western Norwegian style – the Jurgend style - shows in many of the details of the Church of Miðvágur.
Hans Jørgensen did all the craving and the Faroese painter Torbjørn Olsen pained the altarpiece. The altarpiece was revealed on Good Friday in 2000, and it shows Jesus Christ on the cross, same as the former altarpiece did.
The most famous artefact of the church is undoubtedly the candlestick on the communion table. This is namely the candlestick that Beinta supposedly used to hurt Peder Arrheboe. Even after restoration, the candlestick still has marks from this event, and nothing shows on the other candlestick.
The church of Sørvágur is built in old traditional Faroese style: wooden, black with a white tower and grass on the roof. Dánjal Niclasen built the church in 1886 after the old church from 1842 was destroyed by a heavy storm.
The altarpiece is a replica of a Zealandic altarpiece by Carl Bloch from 1873. the Dane Gustav Vilhelm Blom painted the replica that is the altarpiece in the church of Sørvágur.
Danjal Tavsen made the steel spire of the church. The spire was made for the 100-year birthday of the church in 1986. Now the old spire hangs in the porch.
Petur Jákup Hansen carved the wooden baptismal font in 1882.
Jens Christian Heinesen from Sørvágur together with eight other workers built the church of Bøur in 1865.
The altarpiece of the church is made of cast iron, and was given to the church by Zacharias Heinesen.
Above the altarpiece hangs a painting of Jesus Christ on the cross. Carl Carlsen painted the painting in 1892 and it was given to the church of Bøur by Heini í Búri.
Mortan Andressen built the church of Mykines in 1862. In 1877 the church was severely damaged due to stormy weather.
The restoration process of the church was complicated and long in coming. Nevertheless, in October 1879 the church of Mykines was finally re-inaugurated by the priest Hjort.
Since the restoration in 1879 the church has not undergone any major changes.